Sunday, December 9, 2007

"Tim-san! You Cook Bento?"

Friday was the last day of Japanese. Instead of reading boring Japanese phrases from the text book, we decided to cook bento instead! Not familiar with bento? Click this link.

The process of cooking bento was instructed by two native Japanese speakers. So not only was it very interesting to cook bento for the first time but being lead by two people who spoke mostly in Japanese added a level of difficulty and amusement.

The recipe consisted of three main dishes: deep-fried zesty chicken, rolled omelet, and spinach salad with sesame dressing. After deciding that the spinach salad was right for me, I began to ground black roasted sesame seeds in a rigid bowl with a stick, (I'm sure there is a much more technical name for the process.) much like you would do in a science class. Honestly, I chose the spinach salad because it had the fewest steps compared to the other recipes.

Tossed all three recipes into a container and "ta da!" You have an authentic Japanese lunch that looks way more impressive than you would have ever thought. "Did I make that?"
Comments 1 comments
PsyGuy said...

aww. i want rolled omelet now :(