It kills me to say this, but The Happening is not for everyone. I'm really torn between the notion of, it was a good movie, and yet I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. So how is it possible to like a movie and yet not recommend it? Let me explain.This movie deals hugely with the theme of suicide. If you are sensitive to suicide, that should be enough of a reason for you to never watch this, trust me! I cannot stress this enough, if you are sensitive to suicide, you will most likely not like this movie! That's all I'll say without spoiling anything. Seriously, I was surprised, especially since the trailers don't tell you anything about this movie.
Another sensitive subject is the act of killing children. Yes, kids will die right in front of your eyes. There is no quick off camera cut or even a suggested theme, you’ll see it happen. I know that the inclusion of killing children in a movie can be debated both ways, realistic, etc., but I thought this movie really missed the point. Sure it was “edgy,” but distasteful? I personally think so, and it was pointless. Just another way to advanced the plot from point A to point B.
In the end, I liked the "message" that was presented.
Did this movie achieve its desired effect? Yes, it was edgy and scary.
How does The Happening compare to other M. Night movies? It’s better than the others but feels similar.
The story was intriguing and that is why I ultimately liked it. But let me again re-emphasize, I am in no way recommending this movie due to the incredibly dark tone. If you should choose to go against my recommendation, be sure to take your depression meds beforehand....I'm just saying, this movie was much more edgy and controversial compared to other scary movies.

While I don't agree that people shouldn't see the movie I do agree that there are some moments in the movie that aren't for some people.
That having been said I would say that there is a lot of things done well in the movie. The story is frighteningly dark, and the characters are well played.
Post a Comment