Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Email Etiquette (JCOM 2160)

People ask me all the time, "Tim, why is sending emails on the interwebs so hard?" I know, the internet can be a very tricky and complicated place, but don't stress over it, because I'm here to explain the do's and the don'ts of proper email etiquette.

Step 1 -Sending fan mail to your favorite celebrity can be fun, but remember, don't write every thought that comes into your head. Here's what I mean:

DEAR GEORGE CLOONEY,

I THOUGHT U WUR SO DREAMY N DAT 1 MOVIE!!!!!!111! LULZ ;) UR JES 2 KEWL. PLZ BE MY FRIEND. KAY?

YOUR NUMBER ONE FAN
-CUTECHICK897

Step 2 - Let's analyze what cutechick897 did wrong in this email.

First off, Cutechick897 used all caps. All caps implies that the writer is yelling. How rude! You should always use an indoor voice when sending emails.

Second, Using phrases such as "U, UR, PLZ," etc. are never okay. Ever. The same goes for emoticons. Unless you're, a highschool girl who just bought a cell phone -- always use proper grammar and spelling. Trust me, your boss won't be flattered.

Step 3 - This is the most important step -- be respectful and courteous no matter who the addressee is. Being nice is just as important as forming a coherent sentence.

If you'd like to find out more about proper email etiquette and proper internet etiquette in general, here are two links to start you off on the right foot:
Email Replies
Net Etiquette
Comments 0 comments