
This is a really unusual post and I don’t particularly expect many people to understand it. With that being said…
I played the unreleased (in the U.S) Super Smash Bros Brawl last week. After playing that game, it’s come to my attention how disconnected I am from other gamers. I’ve realized that even though I’ve been playing video games my entire life and am arguably the most obsessed person I know on the subject, somehow I’ve come detached from the rest of the gamer population.
Hit the link for the full post
When someone gives me a call and says “were all getting together to play video games, come over”, 9 out of 10 times the games that we play are Halo, Smash Bros, or anything else that could be considered “worthy” of the Professional Gaming League. Because that’s the thing! Those are the games that most people like to play. Those are the games that “professionals” play! You’re not “cool” or “normal” unless you play some kind of FPS(first person shooter) or fighting game.
There will be times when I’ll go over to a coworker’s party to play some Halo, only to find myself ridiculed the next day about how much “Tim sucks at video games”. The same thing happened when I played Smash Bros last week. “I expected so much more out of you.” “That was really disappointing Tim.”
I chalk up the ridicule to the notion that I have some kind of “reputation” among other gamers. I’m the guy who stood in the lobby of EB Games and beat Mario before it came out….”he must be pretty good then”….not the case. I don’t enjoy FPS games, and I don’t enjoy fighting games. I do however, love many other games and genres. Ultimately, I get the short end of the stick when it comes to multiplayer gaming because; everyone else wants to play something that I don’t particularly enjoy.
Don’t get me wrong, people can play whatever they want and enjoy whatever game they want. The point I’m trying to make is that, I’m a hardcore gamer and an outsider among other gamers, that in itself is fascinating to me.
I played the unreleased (in the U.S) Super Smash Bros Brawl last week. After playing that game, it’s come to my attention how disconnected I am from other gamers. I’ve realized that even though I’ve been playing video games my entire life and am arguably the most obsessed person I know on the subject, somehow I’ve come detached from the rest of the gamer population.
Hit the link for the full post
When someone gives me a call and says “were all getting together to play video games, come over”, 9 out of 10 times the games that we play are Halo, Smash Bros, or anything else that could be considered “worthy” of the Professional Gaming League. Because that’s the thing! Those are the games that most people like to play. Those are the games that “professionals” play! You’re not “cool” or “normal” unless you play some kind of FPS(first person shooter) or fighting game.
There will be times when I’ll go over to a coworker’s party to play some Halo, only to find myself ridiculed the next day about how much “Tim sucks at video games”. The same thing happened when I played Smash Bros last week. “I expected so much more out of you.” “That was really disappointing Tim.”
I chalk up the ridicule to the notion that I have some kind of “reputation” among other gamers. I’m the guy who stood in the lobby of EB Games and beat Mario before it came out….”he must be pretty good then”….not the case. I don’t enjoy FPS games, and I don’t enjoy fighting games. I do however, love many other games and genres. Ultimately, I get the short end of the stick when it comes to multiplayer gaming because; everyone else wants to play something that I don’t particularly enjoy.
Don’t get me wrong, people can play whatever they want and enjoy whatever game they want. The point I’m trying to make is that, I’m a hardcore gamer and an outsider among other gamers, that in itself is fascinating to me.

I'm in total agreement with you, Tim. I don't like the shooter games either, but I love the landscape games and RPG's that have puzzles and things but everyone else wants to play Halo and Call of Duty. I was hoping that Super Smash wasn't going to be just a shooting game. I'm looking forward to playing it, but I'm not very good at melee type games.
Post a Comment